Have you been struggling to lose weight or get back in shape? This is an ongoing battle for many people around the world. Some people do succeed, but many just give up when they don’t see quick results. One of the obstacles is an improper diet.
Have you heard of a Keto diet? It has become a rage, not only among celebrities but also among common people, because of its effectiveness. If you are curious about the keto diet (1), then you are not the only one. Many people are not fully aware of what foods to be included in a keto diet and, even more important, what foods should be avoided.
Foods that can be eaten in a keto diet
The Keto diet first came into existence mainly as an aid to help epilepsy patients. This diet leads a user into ketosis by controlling the food groups a person can indulge in. Sugars, both natural and added, and carbohydrates are completely off-limits. They can prevent a person’s metabolism from running on fat as the primary energy source. It requires willpower initially to stick to the diet, but it gets easier once you start seeing the results.
When you stay on a keto diet, you must get ready to eat a lot of protein and fat (2) and avoid carbohydrates. Here are some foods that can be eaten in a keto diet plan.
· Meats: chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, and bacon, are all part of the keto diet. Meat does not have carbohydrates, and some fatty meats such as beef and pork are quite a good option.
· Seafood: seafood, especially fatty seafood such as salmon, tuna, snapper, halibut, and trout, are all good sources of protein and provide fatty acids and are good for overall health.
· High-fat dairy +eggs: you can enjoy heavy cream, cheese of different kinds, full-fat milk, etc. are also a good source of calcium. Cottage cheese, yoghurt, and eggs are all excellent sources of proteins.
· Fats and oils: butter, coconut, and olive oil, clarified butter, mayonnaise, are all good. Olive oil has been known to be good for heart health. So extra oil and fat can be balanced.
· Vegetables: some vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, beans, eggplants, tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach, are low-carb vegetables and allowed in keto diets. Not all vegetables can be a part of the keto diet.
· Nuts: seeds and nuts are rich in oil and fats and a great option for mid-meal snacks. They are low in carbs and high in proteins. The best nuts are almonds, pecans, macadamias, and walnuts. Pumpkin, flax, and sesame seeds are also great.
· Beverages: black tea and coffee, unsweetened, can be a part of a keto diet. Not including liquor in a keto diet plan is best because most liquors contain sugar. Dry wine or champagne is a better option for a keto diet.
What you can’t eat when you are on a keto diet
It is important to know what you can eat, but equally important is to know what you cannot eat. The list is quite long, and you will find many favorites on this list.
· Fruits: most common fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, melon, mango, peaches, and many others are a big no for the keto diet because they have too much sugar.
· Grains: wheat, rice, oats, barley, millet, buckwheat, and sprouted grains all contain a lot of starch and carbohydrates. Bread, bagels, etc., are made with grains and are very starchy.
· Sweets and desserts: sugary foods are a no for most diets, and keto is no different. Sodas, sports drinks, candy, cookies, desserts, cakes, ice creams, pastries, etc., must be avoided.
The low carb, high fat keto diet is very popular, and several people have benefited from this diet. However, it doesn’t need to be the right fit for you. It is best to fully understand the various restrictions before you follow this diet plan.