Ross on Wye and the Wye Valley Home Page, Click here to watch high definition scenic video films of Ross-on-Wye, the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.
The place for information on Ross-on-Wye and the Wye Valley

>>> Continue to the next item >>>......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<

Forest Combination Cup Semi-final

As the season draws to a close the games are coming thick and fast for both Ross and Drybrook. Coming off the back of a big defeat at Frampton Cotterall the previous Saturday, Ross knew they had to put in a big performance to avoid a similar outcome against a Drybrook side one league above them.

Ross were physical from the off and whether it was at the ruck or in the tackle they managed put Drybrook on the back foot. This pressure soon began to tell and Ross were unlucky not to take an early lead after a James Hughes penalty went wide from in front of the posts. However, he soon redeemed himself with a searing break from a ruck on halfway. It looked as if he would run in to score, however the Drybrook Winger managed to haul him down five yards out but quick ball at the ruck enabled back row, Alistair Rees to pick up and barge over, putting Ross 5-0 ahead.

The second half followed a similar pattern. Drybrook closed the gap with an early penalty but Ross continued to hunt down Drybrook in possession, and momentum and it was Ross who twice went close to adding another try through Tara Barnett then Casey Morgan. However, Drybrook were able to hold the score at 5-3. They launched one last effort in the closing minutes, but some great defence by Ross kept Drybrook out and Ross emerged worthy winners and progressed through to the Final at Drybrook on Sunday, 2nd May.

The Walford Timber Man of the Match was Tara Barnett.


Gloucester Premier League

Ross were back in league action after their mid week defeat of Drybrook and were looking to do the double over Gloucester Old Boys after defeating them in the league back in September.

Conditions were perfect for open running rugby and it was Ross early on who looked to move the ball away from contact. When they kept the ball alive they always looked threatening, however, far too often in the first half the Old Boys were able to isolate the tackled player and turnover Ross possession. This disruption enabled Old Boys to slow the game down and focus on their effective set piece and it was from a 5 metre lineout that Old Boys opened the scoring, with their number 8 being driven over in the corner, putting them 5-0 ahead. Ross did close the gap to 5-3 with a Simon Gwynne penalty but on the stroke of half time Old Boys increased their lead to 8-3 with a penalty of their own.

An early second half try by Old Boys put them 15-3 ahead and forced Ross to up the tempo and they were rewarded with a Dave Mince score to bring them back to 15-8. Another Old Boys penalty increased their lead to 18-8 but Ross continued to play with a sense of urgency which Old Boys struggled to contain. James Hughes was brought down five yards out after another electric break but the pressure began to tell and it was centre Bas Parker who sliced through the defence to score under the posts. James Hughes converted and Ross were within three points, 18-15 behind as the game entered the last ten minutes.

Ross finally took the lead with centre Bas Parker again slicing through the defence to score, putting Ross 20-18 ahead with only a few minutes remaining. Unfortunately, it was not to be Rossís day. They infringed in the closing minutes and the Old Boys fly half converted the penalty to put Old Boys 21-20 ahead. Ross could not conjure up that winning score in the dying moments and it was Old Boys who hung on for the win.

The GMP Web Design man of the match was Bas Parker.


Ross United U13s arrived in style to play their final league game at home to Garway at the weekend.

After arriving in two limousines on a glorious Spring morning, Ross started the brighter and were rewarded in the 8th minute when a free-kick from Dan was well flighted into the path of Josh who went onto score the opening goal. Garway hit back within a matter of minutes to make the score 1-1, before a lovely move involving an excellent pass from Josh found Max who took his opportunity well to regain the home sidesí advantage.

Ross were forced on the back foot, but Kieran and his back four of Joe, Dan, Ollie and Ralph kept Garway at bay with some excellent defending. The Ross midfield of Josh, Dan L, Harry and Ryan all worked well and this combination created chances to extend the lead but it remained 2-1 at the break. The second half started with Garway pressing, but some good work by the two substitutes, Liam and Jacob prevented any addition to the score.

As the game continued Ross looked the more likely to score and it was a tenacious run from Callum that provided this just five minutes from time to make it 3-1 to Ross as the final score.

The whole team was praised for a hardworking performance against a good Garway team and were rewarded with the Limos taking them back to the Mighty 8 for lunch. Many thanks to Wayne oats for his help at making this possible.

The Ross United Team were Kieran, Ralph, Dan, Joe, Ollie, Josh, Ryan, Harry, Dan L, Liam, Callum, Jacob and Max.

Ross United U13s arrive in style to their last league game of the season.
>>> Continue to the next item >>>.......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<


Photography, video and web design copyright © Alan J. Wood, All rights reserved.