Ross on Wye and the Wye Valley Home Page, Click here to watch high definition scenic video films of Ross-on-Wye, the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.
The place for information on Ross-on-Wye and the Wye Valley

>>> Continue to the next item >>>......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<

Ross entertained promotion challengers Cirencester last Saturday and after a hard fought encounter marred by some very wet conditions, fell just short, losing 16 points to 5.

It was Ross that looked the more adventurous side from the outset, looking to bring some pace and tempo to the proceedings. However, the heavy rain over the previous twenty four hours meant conditions underfoot were heavy and the ball quickly turned into a bar of soap. This led to a number of errors and both teams found it very difficult to build any pressure or momentum. As a result, the first half was a very stop / start affair and the only difference between the sides was the reliable boot of the Cirencester fly half who converted all three of his penalties to put Cirencester 9-0 up at half time.

Ross continued to look to move the ball in the second half, searching for that opening score that would open up the encounter and it was from such enterprise that Cirencester clinched the winning score. After a series of Ross rucks, the ball was lost in the midfield. Cirencester hacked the ball into the Ross twenty two, but Adam Clements seemed to have the ball covered. However, under pressure from the Cirencester chasers, the slippery ball was knocked loose and as it bobbled over the line, the Cirencester centre touched down to score. With an easy conversion, Cirencester were now 16-0 ahead. Ross continued to work hard looking for a way back, however the clock defeated them and it was not until the last play of the match that scrum half James Hughes ducked under two tacklers to score.

The Ross-on-Wye Terry’s Digitals Man of the Match was Tara Barnett.


Harry, one of the scorers.

Ross United U13s were at home to Ledbury Athletic Swifts on Sunday morning and Ross started the brighter team with a shot from Ralph in the 10th minute, almost breaking the deadlock.

Callum and Liam worked hard up front, although both sides had chances with Ledbury going closest by hitting the crossbar. Ross continued to pile on the pressure but it was Ledbury who opened the scoring in the 23rd minute to make it 1-0 to the visitors. Their lead lasted only one minute, as Jake battled well against a couple of challenges to slide the ball home to make the scores level.

The Ross midfield of Harry, Robbie, Ryan, Daniel L and Jake continued to put through balls for Callum and Liam to run onto but Ross were unable to add to the score before half-time.

The second half saw the introduction of Joe and Jacob and Ross continued to press for the advantage. They were resolute in defence, with Joe and Ralph keeping Ledbury out on the flanks and the centre half pairing of Ollie and Dan working well in tandem to stifle any Ledbury attacks. Jacob had an excellent shot well saved by the keeper, before a break down the left saw Josh play a pinpoint cross that was side footed into the net by Callum to make it 2-1.

Ross had to withstand some more Ledbury pressure that forced Kieran to make a couple of crucial blocks; however on the break an excellent one-two between Josh and Harry allowed the latter to score on the half-volley to make the game safe at 3-1 to Ross United.

The Man of the Match was awarded jointly to Dan and Ollie, with the Hardest Working Player being awarded to Ryan.

Ross United Team – Kieran, Ralph, Dan, Ollie, Dan L, Josh, Jake, Robbie, Liam, Harry, Callum, Ryan, Joe and Jacob.


Saturday saw Ross 2nd XV continue their winning streak with a hard earned victory over Stourport on Severn by 17 points to 3. Faced with a much bigger and heavier Stourport pack, Ross had to work overtime in scrum and lineout for the first 25 minutes. After this initial period and only conceding 3 points from a penalty, Ross's superior skill and fitness began to tell.

Ross scrums became more dominant and as a result good ball started to be produced for scrum half Craig Powell to release the ever dangerous Jack Taylor and Karl Pritchard. The first of Ross's tries came from good turn over ball by back row Mick Pollock. Powell found Taylor in space, who in turn released full back Chris Gage, sprinting 35 metres and shrugging off two tackles to score under the posts. This was converted by Powell to make the score 7 to 3 in Ross's favour. With half time approaching Ross kept on the attack and only stout defending by Stourport kept the scores the same at the interval.

Having now taken the fire out of the Stourport XV, Ross forwards started to use the driving maul to good effect. Back rows Pollock, Hayward and Fuller assisted by McCauley and Lawrence in the second row, drove the Stourport pack back 20 metres before releasing Tom Hariss for a fine run. Stourport were deemed offside at the next breakdown by the referee and Powell stepped up to convert the penalty.

The next points came from a well executed move. Pollock once again turned over Stourport ball. Powell passed out wide to Taylor, who switched inside to hooker Chris Price. Straightening his run he charged over from 10 metres, Powell obliged with the conversion and Ross now had a 17-3 lead. Stourport, to their credit never gave up and in the last 5 minutes were denied points with 2 try saving tackles by Hariss and Nick Stephens, making his first start in Ross colours. This turned out to be the last action of a creditable away victory for Ross.

Saturdays Walford Timber man of the match was Mick Pollock for his all action display. Ross are home on Saturday, 27th March. Kick off is at 2 30pm.

The Ross squad were Gage, Phillips, Pritchard, Hariss, Stephens, Taylor, Powell, Fuller, Hayward, Pollock, McCauley, Lawrence, Oates, Price, Morgan and Powell.


Just a couple of weeks from their first league win of the season Ross Rattlesnakes have notched up another fine performance, completely outplaying Gorsley on their own ground. Playing in light rain, Ross put on anything but a damp display and after 15 minutes the match looked even.

Ross scrambled in the first goal with Josh forcing the ball home from close range, soon to be followed by the goal of the match; a well placed drive from Thai shooting from outside the box into the top corner. Gorsley responded with 2 quick goals and with 5 minutes of the half left, all was to play for. Late in the half, Brandon grabbed 2 quick goals to put Ross ahead at half time.

The second half saw Ross take full control. Rotating the subs, everyone played their part. Up front, Brandon completed his hat trick, not to be outdone by Bradley who took full honours by also scoring a hat trick Whilst the strikers took their opportunities, praise must go to the midfielders Troy, Scott, Lewis and Ethan who relentlessly provided good passes. In defence novice goalkeeper Rory did a Stirling job with Lizzie, Connor and Sam competing well and giving the opposition little chance to score.

Gorsley tried hard to the end, however Ross played well as a unit, passed well and took their chances. Once in the lead, they never looked like failing. Hopefully this good form will go on to their next match at home against the mighty Westfield.

The team :- Rory, Sam, Ethan, Lizzy, Scott, Lewis, Josh, Thai, Brandon, Bradley, Troy, Connor.

Man of Match was awarded to the whole team for their hard work and tireless effort.

>>> Continue to the next item >>>.......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<


Photography, video and web design copyright © Alan J. Wood, All rights reserved.