Ross on Wye and the Wye Valley Home Page, Click here to watch high definition scenic video films of Ross-on-Wye, the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.
The place for information on Ross-on-Wye and the Wye Valley

>>> Continue to the next item >>>......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<

After a hard fought win the previous Saturday, Ross travelled to Gloucester Spartans last weekend, confident of adding another victory to their league tally. The Ross team did not disappoint and a excellent first half performance sealed a convincing 31-13 win.

From the outset, both sides looked to keep the ball in hand, rather than fall into aerial ping-pong which has become a boring part of the modern game. The Ross defence however was the strongest, stopping the Spartans' attacks behind the gain line. This led to turnover ball and it was from a Gavin Oates turnover that Ross opened the scoring. From the turnover, James Hughes moved the ball quickly left. Some quick hands put Chay Brine clear and he side stepped the Spartans Winger before outpacing the defence to score. James Hughes added the conversion to put Ross 7-0 ahead.

In an effort to get back into the game, Spartans became more adventurous and it was this adventure that led to Rossís second score. After some strong tackling from Ashley Nelms and Matt Redman had put Spartans on the back foot, they spun out some speculative passes. Great anticipation from centre, Gareth Holdsworth saw him intercept and sprint 50 metres to score under the posts. Hughes converted and Ross were 14-0 up.

Ross kept up the physical intensity and Spartans could not escape from this vice like grip. Once again they panicked in attack and once again, great timing from Gareth Holdsworth saw him bag his second interception try, putting Ross 21-0 ahead. Ross were now in complete control and from some great lineout work from Adam Clements, Ross moved the ball into midfield. Centre, Bas Parker got outside his centre before sending a scoring pass to Gareth Holdsworth to secure his hat trick, putting Ross 26-0 head. The Spartans did rally with a penalty on half time, however, putting the score at 26-3.

Ross came straight out of the blocks in the second half and once again Holdsworth intercepted. He fed Captain, Gavin Oates, who made good ground before passing to James Hughes who cut inside the chasing defence to score. This put Ross 31 to 3 up with 35 minutes to go. Unfortunately for Ross and the watching supporters it seems the referee then decided to stop the game as a contest. At every breakdown he blew for a penalty. He then yellow carded three Ross players in what can only be deduced as an effort to assist the Spartans. His stewardship of the game ruined what had been an entertaining match. Ross did concede a try and a penalty but still ran out comfortable 31-13 winners.

The Walford timber man of the match was Gareth Holdsworth for his hat trick of tries.

Next Saturday, 20th February, Ross are at home against Tewkesbury. Kick off is at 2.30pm.


Ross United .

Ross United Under 13ís were home to Wellington on Sunday morning, in the Under 13 BOSS Cup. The game started with Wellington looking the most likely to score, but Ross slowly started to have their share of pressure.

Callum and Robbie worked hard up front and were well supported by the hardworking midfield quartet of Jake, Harry, Josh and Daniel L. Ryan was introduced midway through the first half for his first game for Ross in some time and quickly showed some good touches. Wellington started to increase the pressure and finally broke the deadlock in the 21st minute.

Ross defended against the increasing pressure from the visitors with the back four of Ralph, Dan, Ollie and Joe all being tested to avoid any addition to the score. Ross could have equalized late on, but the ball was cleared off the line by the Wellington defender. The pressure from Wellington told in the last minute of the first half when they doubled their advantage.

Liam came on for the second half and Ross started to have their share of chances. However, against the run of play Wellington scored their third goal. Kieran made some important saves low down and Ross created more chances

with Liam, Callum, a free-kick from Dan and a shot from Robbie hitting the post. Wellington continued to play some excellent football and were rewarded just before the end with their fourth goal without response.

The 4-0 score line was a touch hard on the home side that battled well throughout the match, against a well organized Wellington team who are doing well in the league above Ross United.

The Chairmanís Hardest Working Player Award was given to Ralph for his energy up and down the left flank. The Man of the Match was given to Josh for his efforts at both ends of the pitch on the right.

The Ross United Team were Kieran, Ralph, Dan, Joe, Ollie, Harry, Dan L, Josh, Callum, Robbie, Jake, Liam, Colin & Ryan.

>>> Continue to the next item >>>.......................... Bookmark and Share <<< Go to the latest Wyenot News Index Page <<<


Photography, video and web design copyright © Alan J. Wood, All rights reserved.